Friday, March 25, 2011

Brazilian Fish Stew

I've long said that I don't like fish.  And I don't.  The fishy taste really grosses me out.  So other than a time on our honeymoon where Scott tricked me into eating a bite of it (don't listen to his version of the story, it's gets more far-fetched every time I hear it), I haven't ever really eaten it. 

I want to like fish though.  So I'm trying.  I can now handle a little bit of salmon on a salad with lots of other flavors and tilapia.  For this stew I used tilapia, but you really could use any other fish you like...if you're one of those people that like fish. 

Brazilian Fish Stew

Marinade:
  • 3-4 cloves garlic
  • 4 T lime juice
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T paprika
  • 2 T cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
Stew:
  • 4 filets of tilapia cut into 1 inch pieces
  • olive oil
  • 2 medium onions, sliced thin
  • 2 bell peppers, cored and sliced (I used one orange and one yellow)
  • 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Coat fish in marinade and let sit for about 2 hours.

Coat the bottom of a large dutch oven with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Add a layer of sliced onions, a layer of peppers, and a layer of tomatoes.  Place fish pieces on top of this.  Cover with another layer of onions, peppers, then tomatoes.  Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle the cilantro over the top.  Shake up your can of coconut milk then open and pour over the layers.  Drizzle a few more tablespoons of olive oil over the top.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve over rice.

This is my modified version, the original recipe can be found on www.simplyrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment