Thursday, August 21, 2014

It's Not One or the Other

I can love doctors, while still not trusting every word of advice they give.  I can love them while not standing behind those who don't treat their patients well.

I can love attorneys (let's hope so!), while fighting against those who seek to use their power to hurt or take advantage of others and commit malpractice.

I can love landlords who provide safe and stable homes for those in need, while still railing against the ones in my neighborhood who leave their tenants in lead-filled homes that are desperately in need of repair while over-charging those who depend on them.

I can love pastors who shepherd and guide those entrusted to them while having righteous anger toward those who use their position of authority to abuse those in their care.

I can love police officers, I can call them to my home when someone is trying to break in, I can introduce them to my children as people who are here to help, I can feel for their them and their families and be thankful for their service and their willingness to put themselves in harms way while also fighting hard against those who abuse their position of power and against the institutionalized racism that exists in our justice department.

It's not one or the other.


1 comment: