The amazingly glorious warm weather has taken a couple day hiatus, so it automatically became time for soup. Comfort food soup at that. I like thick, creamy soups than fill you up and aren't too brothy. Is that a word? Anyway, here you go ladies and gents. Some (obviously gluten-free with a too long name) creamy chicken veggie wild rice soup.
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
6 chicken thighs, boiled and shredded
1 cup long grain and wild rice mixture (not a quick cooking package, the real stuff - I used Lundberg wild blend)
1 T garlic salt
1 T onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup mushrooms of your choosing, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup all purpose GF flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill) or brown rice flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups whole milk
1) In a small pot, combine 1 cup rice blend and 2 cups veggie stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes.
2) In a large pot, saute your veggies until soft in olive oil. I would do you mushrooms separately since they only take a couple minutes and the others will take longer.
3) Remove all veggies from the pot and melt your stick of butter. Whisk in the seasonings. Add your flour a little bit at a time and whisk thoroughly. By the time all the flour is in there, it will be a thick paste.
4) Add your milk about 1/2 cup at a time. Whisk each addition until well incorporated and heated. Continue to heat and stir after all is added until the mixture is nice and thick.
5) Add in your veggies, chicken, 2 cups broth, 2 cups water, and rice. Cook over medium heat (low simmer) for about 20 minutes. Or if you are making this during nap time, it should all fit in a standard crockpot, so you can put it all in there on low and it will be ready whenever you are for dinner.