Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gluten Free Thanksgiving

Before I jump into what I will be feeding us for Thanksgiving this year, I have to take a moment and explain my philosophy on gluten free holidays.

If you grew up looking forward to grandma's light and fluffy crescent rolls or your moms flaky apple pie, your first inclination may be to try to find a gluten free replication to fulfill your food memories.  DON'T DO IT.  Seriously.  You won't find a replication that's the same, and crying into dough is not recommended.  Not that I've ever cried into dough.  That's a lie.  I totally cried into my gluten free pizza crust the first time I tried to make if by simply substituting gluten free flour into my old recipe.  Sobbed.

My advice is now, and always will be, make new food memories.  There are some really amazingly delicious gluten free foods to be had, but they will not be the same as their gluten filled counterparts.  You won't have light, fluffy, or flaky.  But you can still have really tasty.

Here's my menu list for this year.  Tell me if you would feel deprived after downing all of this to the point of needing stretchy pants.

Smoked Chopped Maple Chicken
Roasted Green Beans with Mushroom Sauce
Cheesy Potato Casserole
Cornbread Stuffing
Fudge Brownies with Caramel Drizzle

Felling deprived?  I've linked the recipes that can be found on the web and will add the others as their own blog entries, but link them here, as Abe allows.

1 comment: